PHMSA is responsible for regulating and ensuring the safe and secure movement of hazardous materials to industry and consumers by all modes of transportation, including pipelines. To minimize threats to life, property or the environment due to hazardous materials related incidents, PHMSA's Office of Hazardous Materials Safety develops regulations and standards for the classifying, handling and packaging of over 1 million daily shipments of hazardous materials within the United States. Below are descriptions of important regulatory programs and links:
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR: Title 49 CFR Parts 100-185) - The e-CFR provides daily updates to the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government, including PHMSA (Title 49 CFR Parts 100-185).
- Historical Code of Federal Regulations (Annual Editions) - The CFR annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government. It is divided into 50 titles that represent broad areas subject to Federal regulation. The 50 subject matter titles contain one or more individual volumes, which are updated once each calendar year, on a staggered basis. The annual update cycle is as follows: titles 1-16 are revised as of January 1; titles 17-27 are revised as of April 1; titles 28-41 are revised as of July 1; and titles 42-50 are revised as of October 1.
- Federal Hazmat Transportation Law - This guide summarizes federal hazmat transportation law, including regulatory authorities, scope, and enforcement procedures.
- Regulations.gov - One-stop site to find, view, and comment on Federal regulations and other Federal actions.
- CFR Retrieve by Citation - Title, Part, and either a Section Number or a Subpart letter are required.
- PHMSA Federal Register - The Office of the Federal Register (OFR) of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), and the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) jointly administer the FederalRegister.gov website. This site shows all recent and historical PHMSA publications, including rulemakings, notices, and advisories.
Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2017